3/29/08

.



I had a doll in the 70's, not that I ever played with dolls but being a little girl I guess people gave them to me, thinking I'd like them, when all I did was chew on their feet. I did. I had a Barbie foot chewing habit, I'd carry a Barbie around in my mouth and gnaw on her feet until the white plastic thing was exposed. I thought it was her bone. I was only 4 or 5 though so I think that's ok. Maybe I was teething or something.

But one doll in particular is on my mind tonight: a creepy baby doll with 3 faces. You could only see one face at a time though, due to her plastic hood she wore, complete with a big fat knob sticking out the top of her head. When you turned the knob you'd see her other faces. One was crying, one was sleeping, and one was laughing.

This doll has been front & center in my mind for the past two days. I think I'm supposed to be learning something here. That for a long time I have been a whole lot like that doll, allowing other things, circumstances, people, events, etc to reach down and turn my knob. Mainly people.
I searched for a picture of that doll to put it on here, but I couldn't find it. So I'm just saying, don't be like her. If you have a knob on your head, take it off and slap any hand that tries to turn your moods around and around.

Also! I had a dream tonight. That I was being examined by a doctor, and just out of the blue, he grabbed me and started shaking me! I was surprised and he said, "I needed to see if you could be shaken."

It was a test. To see how I would respond.
And when I woke up, I understood that this is very much what I have been experiencing lately. So again! I'm sharing that dream here to say, sometimes God allows certain things to take place to test our endurance, to see how well we remain standing. I'm thinking the doll with the knob and the doctor who shakes his patients are connected. I'm no math whiz but if I put them together I get the point.

Stand your ground, don't be manipulated by other people, and keep going when life seeks to rattle your cage and force-feed you a knuckle sandwich sideways.

love! A.













1987, I was 17. At a party, drunk, flirting with a guy in the kitchen. We started dancing, I told him I wanted to ballroom dance, that thing where you get rolled up and dipped. We were just about to do that, he even had his hand held out, and I was just about to take it, when...

...in walked three guys. Just stood there, in the kitchen, watching us. The guy I was with started talking with them for a bit, and I noticed that the one in the middle was holding a motorcycle helmet. He also smiled at me. These guys were cute. They looked older, but still all 80's looking- ripped jeans, big puffy headbanger hair, leather jackets. The one holding the helmet just looked at me, and still smiling, said, "you sure would look cute in this, here, put it on." He then put the helmet on my head, then his face changed from a smile to a look of concern as he adjusted the chin strap and made sure it was snug on my head. I laughed. Ok, whatever!

The guys finished talking and left the kitchen, and the guy I was with said, "where were we?" I said, "you were about to roll me up and dip me!" So once more, he held out his hand. I took it, rolled up, then got the dip of a lifetime. He tripped, and sent me crashing, my head was slammed into the sharp corner of the kitchen table. All I remember is a loud "THUNK" and then I was on the floor, staring up at lots of people around me. They helped me up, and I was a little shook up, but not hurt. I looked around for the guys, and they weren't there. I asked the guy I was with who they were, and as it turns out, he didn't know them either! Nobody knew who they were. And they were gone.

So. A helmet was delivered to my head, just seconds before what could have been a very bad thing. My left temple is all that broke my fall, and without that helmet, who knows what could have happened.

I had just received Jesus Christ a few months earlier. Maybe not even that long. I was a brand new believer. I was still bad, hadn't yet been cleaned up by Him, but as it turns out, His grace is sufficient. I was only 17. This event set the pace for me. That's how I thought God was, all the time. I was like, "ok, so He's full of surprises!" I had no room to doubt Him at all. Miracle after miracle came after that. One after the next.

Anyway. So that's my helmet story.

Blog Archive